Sunday, January 3, 2010

Shopping Excursion - Sunday Part II

There has been a lot of paperwork drama over here- aside from general confusion from when we were applying for our visas back in the US, we now have to spend part of tomorrow morning turning in more copies of our paperwork, including 4 copies of general questions as to our birthplace, address in India, etc., to each of which a passport photo needs to be affixed. Most people didn't get the email about these forms until they had already left for India, so part of our excursion today was to go to a Photo shop in India so 13 of our group could have passport photos taken. We first met to go over particulars, then had a lovely lunch outside (I had a yummy pumpkin soup, and they also had spaghetti and french fries, because they knew the Americans would be here today! I stayed away from the other stuff, which was too much a mystery to attempt. I will, eventually, just not today). We then walked through the Infosys campus to board the bus for our excursion.

Bangalore by day is much different from Bangalore at night. The Infosys campus is pristene, beautiful and well-equipped... drive 100 yards off the campus and there are total slums. The road to the city is hard to travel- tons of bikes, mopeds, cars and buses all trying to maneuver, along with cattle on the side of the road (we saw an Ox cart attempting a rotary) and people everywhere. Just masses of people standing around on the streets. We had to walk to our first stop, and crossing the street was quite a difficult feat. Upon our first stop at a trinket store, there were pushy peddlers out front trying to sell us mini chess sets, mini snake charmer baskets, etc. but it was nothing worse than the merchants in places like Cozumel. The store was quite clearly a favored merchant of our tour guides. Lots of stuff, but you couldn't tell the quality of the jewelry. A few folks bought vases, elephant sculptures, etc. I took some pictures, as some of the work was amazing, but in general everything seemed overpriced. We then took a fairly treacherous walk to the photo shop, and eventually back on the bus for a drive to the silk and clothing store.

I had been eagerly awaiting this stop, as I am sick to death of the long sleeved white T and blue sweat pants that I have been wearing for 48 hours. It doesn't help that everyone else was freshly changed into their cute touristy clothes and I look gross. Fortunately, I have money from Lufthansa to purchase some duds in India- I got a skirt and a top that I'm sure will make me look like a fool when wearing them together- but both will go with my top & bottom that are right now the key components of my wardrobe. I was also able to buy 2 pairs of sandals on the street for the equivalent of about $4 US, so that should help my feet too. So not fun.

So yeah, I'm tired now - it was a long day, and I took my 3rd shower since arriving here less than 16 hours ago. I just really want my clothes, and have my fingers crossed that they will arrive before our city tour tomorrow.

But the people in our group are really nice- some quite entertaining - so it should make for a fun week. Once my clothes get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment