Saturday, January 9, 2010

Quick blog due to limited internet...

So this will be another belated blog, because our lodging in Mysore only provides internet access in one of our two assigned buildings. Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) I am in the building without internet access. Ironically, there are many people who didn’t bring computers, and many of them are in the building with internet access. So I was able to get online by bringing my computer to a classmate’s room and letting people get online using her port but my computer. It’s just annoying, and also disappointing because I haven’t been able to Skype with Shaun or my parents for a few days, since our access in Bangalore was spotty at best and here it’s been non-existent. Why couldn’t they have planned it so everyone with computers got the building with internet access?
Anyway- here we are in Mysore. I was particularly excited for this leg of the journey because this is the world’s largest corporate training facility, and I loved my time in Training & Development at Disney and have a lot of passion for that process. It’s great to be in an environment where training is valued and appreciated. One of our speakers today even told us that in last year’s tough economic times, their training budget got increased – they are just that passionate about it. We learned about their development program and leadership development process; particularly interesting to me as it reinforced what I already believe about Leadership, Leadership training and how it fits into a person’s skill set. Our presenters were very interactive today as well, which made it interesting. Overall, the presenters from Infosys have been excellent, very open to questions and making us feel that our contributions have been valid. This company is so well run and so focused on ethics- it’s admirable to see.
We got a tour of the Mysore campus today as well, which includes a pool, bowling alley and squash courts. Imagine an extremely well-appointed college campus, as all of the new Infosys trainees are fresh out of engineering undergrad.
After our campus tour we got on our bus for a shopping trip in Mysore. This was quite an adventure. We were excited to have a chance to purchase some souvenirs and walk around a bit on our own. It was very crowded, with lots of vendors selling all kinds of wares. The street salesmen were particularly aggressive; they literally walked right next to us for blocks, trying to sell beads, flutes, etc. by shoving them in our faces. Highly annoying. We had less than an hour to shop and navigate the marketplace atmosphere, but it was definitely worth it.
So tomorrow’s plan is to be up early and load up all of our luggage on the bus. We’re doing a city tour in Mysore to experience some of the sights, and then in the afternoon will head back to Bangalore (on the long, winding & rickety road) directly to the airport. Tomorrow is officially our last day in India, and I can’t believe it’s over.
I have to pack up tonight; I bought an extra suitcase since I was so close to the limit at Logan. I’ve had to purchase clothes plus some souvenirs so I’m coming home with more than I left with, and I’d rather have 2 bags than be so far over the limit.
It’s been an incredible learning experience on a lot of levels, and I really can’t wait to get back home to good old Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment